- Managing Director
- T: +44 20 3727 1783
- F: +44 20 3727 1007
- 200 Aldersgate
- Aldersgate Street
- London, EC1A 4HD
- United Kingdom
- T: +44 20 3727 1000
- F: +44 20 3727 1007
- B.S., Operations Research and Industrial Engineering, Cornell University
Sonia Cheng is a Managing Director at FTI Consulting. She is a member of the Technology Consulting practice and is based in London. Sonia currently leads the EMEA Information Governance & Compliance (IG&C) practice. She is a trusted advisor to some of the world’s largest financial services, insurance, pharmaceutical and energy firms. Sonia possesses unique insights on the intersection across the diverse disciplines of records management, privacy, e-discovery, compliance, risk, security, operations and IT.
Sonia’s diverse, hands-on experience enables her to lead a broad range of IG implementations. Her domain expertise and diversity of experience results in a unique and effective approach towards gaining executive approval and enabling sustained IG transformation. Having worked on highly complex matters, Sonia and the IG&C team are prepared for any challenge a client may present, enabling her clients to take pragmatic steps towards strategic IG success.
Sonia previously led the Information Governance practice at IBM where she was responsible for leading global programmes to implement legal holds, in-house eDiscovery process optimisation and records management. She also worked with firms to perform remediation of unstructured, structured and backup data. She has held consulting leadership and financial analysis roles at PSS Systems, Wells Fargo, Citigroup and Morgan Stanley, where she handled large mission critical financial systems, audit applications and conducted vendor evaluation efforts.
- Led an IG assessment for a global insurance firm in response to a critical audit finding, working closely with security, privacy, IT and legal staff to quickly identify key governance gaps in cloud migration projects and develop tactical and strategic recommendations to address their information risks.
- Oversaw the IG implementation for a global European financial services firm, including leading the team to assess information cost and risk for more than 140 petabytes of data across five regions. Successfully executed legal holds, records management and e-discovery process management solutions to support ongoing remediation efforts. Engaged in the evaluation of the global structured and unstructured archival solutions for the firm.
- Worked closely with a global U.S.-based bank to establish a defensible disposal and IG programme, partnering with legal and records to inventory thousands of legal and regulatory obligations across five regions. Led the change and transformation workstream in collaboration with legal, IT and business executives to ensure successful adoption.
- Managed the global rollout of the legal holds and in-house e-discovery process transformation for a European pharmaceutical firm. Helped design an enterprise data source mapping process and solution.