- Managing Director
- Economic & Financial Consulting
- T: +44 20 3727 1157
- F: +44 20 3727 1007
- 200 Aldersgate
- Aldersgate Street
- London, EC1A 4HD
- United Kingdom
- T: +44 20 3727 1000
- F: +44 20 3727 1007
- M.A., International Business & International Finance, Amity University
- B.Sc., Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics, Bangalore University
- Financial Institutions
Karthik Balisagar is a Managing Director at FTI Consulting and is based in London. Mr. Balisagar is a member of the Economic and Financial Consulting segment. Mr. Balisagar has 15 years of experience in valuation and transaction consulting. At FTI Consulting, Mr. Balisagar specialises in banking and asset management valuation and regulation issues in the context of international arbitration and litigation.
Over the past decade, Mr. Balisagar has carried out over 300 valuations and advised banks, private equity firms, institutional investors and corporates in Europe, Asia and the United States, on both contentious and non-contentious valuation matters.
In contentious matters, Mr. Balisagar has led projects providing expert reports and supporting testifying experts. Mr. Balisagar has advised clients in banking-related litigations including regulatory capital requirements, non-performing assets, emergency liquidity requirements, accounting for complex derivatives and margining and equity close-outs administered by investment banks.
- acting as a joint expert in the economic and valuation assessment of the implementation of Single Resolution Mechanism related to a bank resolution dispute in Europe;
- authoring an expert report relating to proportionality of bank regulation in light of an enforcement action by a regulator in Eastern Europe;
- supporting an expert in assessing the impact of various accounting restatements on the market value and regulatory capital of a large Italian bank;
- authored an expert valuation report in an LCIA-administered dispute relating to a proposed acquisition of a retail bank by a fund;
- authored an expert report for the trustees of an insolvent bank on matters relating to effect of GFC on the liquidity and solvency of the bank; and
- supported a valuation expert in an ICC Arbitration relating to a joint venture (a credit institution with a book greater than EUR 10 bn) dispute between a large retail chain and a major global bank.
In non-contentious matters, Mr. Balisagar has advised financial institutions/asset management companies in valuing their equity portfolios, loan books and management incentive structures. Prior to joining FTI Consulting London, Mr. Balisagar worked as a Director for Duff & Phelps (“D&P”) in Singapore. At D&P, Mr. Balisagar helped develop the valuation and transaction advisory practice.
Before joining D&P, Mr. Balisagar was part of the valuation team at Grant Thornton UK LLP. At Grant Thornton, Mr. Balisagar specialised in fair value reviews for the UK National Audit practice and was considered to be the principal contact for technical matters relating to financial reporting valuations.
Mr. Balisagar holds a B.Sc. in physics, chemistry & mathematics and an MBA.