Real Estate Tax
Whenever property is involved in a transaction, there will be specific and potentially complex tax implications to consider. Whether you are an investor, developer or occupier, FTI Consulting offers a broad range of services – combining tax, surveying and accounting – that delivers practical and innovative solutions for clients involved in significant capital transactions.
We have an unrivalled track record and client base in this area and our senior team members are recognised as leaders in this field, having advised corporations, funds, governments and industry bodies in both the UK and internationally on all tax aspects relating to complex asset investments.
The areas in which we help our clients include:
- Transactions, from fund and joint venture structuring advice both in the UK and internationally, to tax structuring for acquisitions, development projects and disposals of real estate. This is in addition to our tax due diligence work on corporate acquisitions that dovetails with our financial due diligence team in Corporate Finance.
- Capital allowances transaction advice and analysis of capital expenditure, including land remediation relief claims. This offering is enhanced by our experience in fixed asset process improvement and retrospective review to ensure optimal capital allowances and deferred revenue claims.
- Stamp duty land tax (SDLT), land and buildings transaction tax (LBTT) in Scotland and annual tax on enveloped dwellings (ATED). Although no longer the aggressive tax planning area it once was, the introduction of LBTT in Scotland (with a similar departure for Wales on the cards too) coupled with the changes introduced for residential property makes for an ever more complex environment that we have the expertise to navigate successfully.
- VAT compliance and planning, including the complexities of mixed use developments and fund/asset management fees.
- Tax compliance and reporting for UK companies and non-resident landlords. We are able to offer a “cradle to grave” tax compliance and reporting service with the benefit of being free from any audit conflicts.
- Transfer pricing is an area of ever-increasing importance and focus across all industries, and real estate is no different. We provide benchmarking and reporting services in relation to related party debt financing, management fee structures and lease agreements. Our transfer pricing team is supported by our team of valuation experts within our Economic and Financial Consulting practice.
- We advise both landlords and occupiers on all aspects of real estate lease transactions, from initial incentives to renewal, dilapidations and surrenders.
Read more about the Real Estate advisory team.