- Managing Director
- Forensic & Litigation Consulting
- T: +44 20 3319 5602
- F: +44 20 3727 1007
- 200 Aldersgate
- Aldersgate Street
- London, EC1A 4HD
- United Kingdom
- T: +44 20 3727 1000
- F: +44 20 3727 1007
- B.Sc., Mathematics, Imperial College London
- Chartered Accountant
- Forensic Litigation Consulting
- Global Risk & Investigations
- Regulation and Compliance
- Regulatory Investigations
- Risk Management & Internal Controls
- Financial Institutions
Mark Turner is a Managing Director in the Forensic Litigation Consulting segment, based in London. Mark is an experienced risk and regulatory advisor, having previously held positions in the wholesale banking sector, at the UK regulator (FSA and PRA) and as a risk advisory Director at EY. He also spent 6 years as an entrepreneur in the retail sector.
Applying 20 years of knowledge and experience gained in both the private and public sector, Mark adopts a practical, pragmatic approach when dealing with a broad range of challenges, including those driven by regulation.
At the PRA, Mark was a Risk Specialist covering banking and capital markets, as well as insurance regulation. His role covered both technical product valuations (including valuation assessments of complex and illiquid products) as well as broader front to back controls reviews, particularly for wholesale banks.
More recently as a Risk Advisory Director at EY, Mark led a number of major engagements, advising clients how to navigate the regulatory landscape – either as a result of new regulation or in response to specific issues and challenges.
Mark has built a reputation for gaining a deep understanding of issues, working with management to design and deliver solutions that are complimentary to existing processes and structures.
Mark’s experience includes:
- Review of controls within the wholesale division of a major European bank following an accounting issue which led to a skilled persons review. Reported findings and recommendations to management, advised on regulatory expectations, leading to a positive outcome for the bank.
- FSA risk lead on high profile rogue trading investigation, reviewing trading, risk and finance controls, and governance processes. Acted as FSA subject matter expert at enforcement interviews. Reviewed rogue trading controls at a number of major wholesale banks.
- Led thought leadership on Senior Managers and Certification Regime (SMCR), held a senior role in a number of major UK and international SMCR engagements. Led implementation of SMCR at a large UK bank. Advised Senior Managers on reasonable steps (jointly with external legal advisors), including producing a practical handbook for Senior Managers.
- Advised a major UK bank on legal entity governance (Board and executive) including compliance with both SMCR and CRDIV.,Advised on changes to group governance requirements, and group legal entity structure, due to UK Structural Reform regulations.
- FSA lead on asset valuation governance and controls within the insurance industry, resulting in issuance of Supervisory Statement on the topic. Reviewed processes and governance at several major insurers and asset managers.
- Supported major US wholesale bank in their application for an advanced models waiver for market risk, conducting a review of controls across the business and control functions. Designed and led mock interviews to prepare the bank and its management for the PRA review of its application.