- T: +974 4034 2028
- F: +974 4034 2020
- 15th Floor, Palm Tower, Tower B
- PO Box 207129
- T: +974 4034 2024
- F: +974 4034 2020
- Ph.D., University of Manchester
- PGDip Arb, College of Estate Management
- B.Sc., (Hons), Quantity Surveying, Liverpool Polytechnic
- M.B.A., Manchester Business School
- Chartered Surveyor
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)
- The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- Member of Chartered Institute of Building (MCIOB)
- International Arbitration
David Hugill is a Fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and Chartered Institute of Arbitrators with post graduate qualifications in arbitration and business administration and also a doctorate from the faculty of law and economics at the University of Manchester.
He has more than 30 years of experience working in quantity surveying, commercial management and dispute resolution in the building, engineering, marine and rail industries.
Mr Hugill has extensive experience in the forensic analysis of quantum matters and in preparing, defending and negotiating claims on matters such as labour and plant disruption, contentious valuation issues and delays.
Mr Hugill’s international experience includes the Middle East, Australia and mainland Europe.
- Dredging project – assisted Claimant’s expert (arbitral proceedings). Matters included standing time, pumping distances, remobilisations, variations, loss of profit, disruption. Sampling from large number of Contractor’s records.
- Motorway project – assisted Respondent’s expert in preparation of report on wide range of quantum issues (arbitral proceedings). Review and comment on extensive series of Claimant and Respondent submissions including Claimant’s expert report. Disputed matters include: drainage/ ground works, borrow pit, finance charges, fluctuation costs and claim preparation costs. Issues involved exchange rate fluctuations.
- Large scale disaster recovery project – assisted Claimant’s expert in preparation of report on quantum issues (litigation proceedings). Preparing Scott schedule. Examining project records and drafting report on compliance with commercial procedures. Analysing suppliers’ records and reporting on invoicing procedures.
- Telecommunications project – represent subcontractor in dispute concerning set- off and withholding notices on multiple adjudications. Commencing and managing adjudication process including: preparation of Notice and Referral.
- Telecommunications project – represented subcontractor in dispute concerning contract interpretation and disputed final account. Commencing and managing adjudication process including: preparation of Notice and Referral; appointment of Adjudicator; preparation of Reply to Response; preparation of Rejoinder.
- IT & Telecommunications project – represented ground work subcontractor in dispute concerning contract interpretation. Commencing and managing adjudication process including: preparation of Notice and Referral; appointment of Adjudicator. Assisting with Reply to Response; drafting and agreeing witness statements. ICE Adjudication Procedure.
- Groundworks – represented subcontractor in disputed final account valuation. Commencing and managing adjudication process including: preparation of Notice and Referral; appointment of Adjudicator under The Scheme using The Technology and Construction Solicitors' Association ("TeCSA") nominating body. Settlement negotiated prior to Respondent’s submission.
- Mall, Electrical Works – prepare redesign and retrofitting claim in relation to disputed design changes to load densities, power factor, equipment current and, transformer capacity. Investigate effects upon cable and switch gear calculations and evaluation thereof.
- Mall – prepare submissions in relation to disputed changes to LPG installation and power load densities. Research history using project records and staff interviews.
- Airport project – prepare quantum and entitlement elements of independent report into contractor’s prolongation and disruption claims. Review correspondence in relation to complex and stringent notice provisions. Direct forensic examination of contractor’s cost and management accounting records.
- Airport project – led large team in the preparation of quantum element of claims associated with disputed variations, breaches of contract, prolongation and disruption.
- Prepared delay and disruption claim involving complex array of sectional completions. Disruption arising from employer’s interference with contractor’s working methods and excessively high standard of workmanship.
- Railway renewals project – prepared narrative from planned versus as-built delay programmes. Review contractor’s drawing registers and other records to identify factors which delayed the works. Narrative associated with various heads of claim including late and incorrect design information.
- MEP works, waste processing project – evaluated and negotiate settlement of sub contractor’s EoT and disruption claims on behalf of main contractor. Analyse negotiated tender prices to provide basis for evaluation of indirect costs.
- Electrical installation – prepared delay and disruption claim. Review correspondence, minutes of meetings and contemporaneous site records to develop schedule of events affecting containment and wiring operations.
- Civil engineering works, power station – reviewed windows delay analysis to produce EOT narrative in relation to late and incomplete design information. Review correspondence and minutes of meetings, to develop schedule of evidence in support of acceleration and disruption claims.
- Railway renewals project – analysis of contractor’s data to produce quantum elements of delay and disruption claim. Gathering timesheet and allocation sheet records to identify direct and indirect costs associated with disruption and prolongation. Calculate delay and disruption costs.
- LNG project – preparation of disruption claim on behalf of contractor for large scale site preparation contract involving: clearance, rock blasting, recycling, cut/fill and detailed excavation (circa 100ha). Interview relevant staff, identify and analyse plant records. Produce narrative, particulars and statements of claim arising from plant at reduced efficiency and revised plant.
- Shopping centre project – assisted with preparation of report advising subcontractor on claim for outstanding variations. Summarising variation, valuation and payment procedures under main contract and subcontract; reviewing adherence to same through analysis of correspondence, other contemporaneous records and raising client queries. Recommending course of action for recovery.
- Conference facilities, sports stadium – prepared report reviewing entitlement and valuation of variations using bespoke design and build conditions. Identify compliance with contractual procedures including preparation, submission and verification of dayworks. Review subcontractors’ and main contractor’s records. Value variations using a combination of measured rates from contract sum analysis, fair rates and dayworks. Compare with valuations undertaken by contractor and employer’s quantity surveyor.
- Shopping centre project – assisted with preparation of report advising subcontractor on liability for failures with installed mechanical and electrical equipment. Prepare chronological summary of matters connected with failures through examination of project correspondence. Summarising insurance and practical completion procedures under main contract and sub contract; reviewing adherence to same through analysis of correspondence, other contemporaneous records and raising client queries. Recommending course of action for recovery.
- Wastewater treatment project – prepared timeline of varied and extensive project history through examination of project records and meetings with relevant staff. Reviewing framework agreement to identify most appropriate clauses and contractual procedures to present claim for commercial recovery. Assisting in preparation of advice for progressing settlement of commercial issues.
Commercial Management Experience
- Contracts Manager, waste processing facility – managed QS staff in all aspects of commercial duties to finalise sub contractors’ accounts on behalf of main contractor. Broad range of construction elements including, mechanical, electrical and civil engineering. Procurement via traditional and design and build approaches.
- Combined heat and power project – responsible for all post contract quantity surveying duties on a pilot CHP scheme for a major utility company. Preparing and agreeing claim for loss and expense due to delays caused by nominated subcontractor. Successfully defended counter-claim.
- Supermarket, shell & fit-out – responsible for all post contract quantity surveying duties. Preparing and agreeing claim for acceleration to meet busy Christmas trading period.
- PFI hospital – supervised team undertaking cost monitoring of design proposals for interior design strategy on behalf of main contractor.
- High school – supervised all post-contract duties on traditionally procured education scheme. Advising main contractor on contractual procedures, negotiating and agreeing claim for delay, loss and expense due to temporary suspension of the works.
- 6th form college – supervised all post contract duties on traditionally procured education scheme. Negotiating and agreeing extension of time and loss and expense.
- University arts & media centre – prepared early stage estimate and benchmarking report for multi-use facility including theatre, television, dance and art studios, practice and rehearsal areas.
- PFI health scheme – prepared feasibility estimates, option appraisals and Outline Business Case submission for major hospital redevelopment; capital and whole life costs.
- FE college remodelling – prepared early stage estimates and option appraisals spanning refurbishment through to complete new build.