- Senior Director
- T: +852 3768 4507
- F: +852 3012 9664
- Level 22, The Center
- 99 Queen's Road Central
- Hong Kong
- T: +852 3768 4500
- F: +852 3012 9664
- B.Sc., (Hons), Economics, University of Warwick
- Chartered Accountant of England & Wales
- Practising Associate Member of the Academy of Experts (AMAE)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants
- Forensic Accounting & Investigations
- Cross-border Litigation
- International Arbitration
Ben Johnson is a Senior Director in the Forensic Accounting & Advisory Services practice within the Forensic & Litigation Consulting segment at FTI Consulting and is based in Hong Kong. Ben specialises in complex valuation and damages matters.
Ben is an economist and a Chartered Accountant. He provides economic and financial advice to a range of developed and emerging market clients, primarily on the assessment of complex damages in litigation and international arbitration. His experience includes business valuations, post-acquisition disputes, lost profit claims, fraud investigations, competition enquiries, regulatory consultations and expert determinations. He has worked across various industries including energy, telecoms, financial services, infrastructure, entertainment and retail.
In contentious matters, Ben has drafted more than 35 expert reports for submission to UK, U.S., Irish, Hong Kong and Cayman Islands courts, as well as in arbitrations under the rules of the ICC, AAA, HKIAC, CIETAC, UNCITRAL, SIAC and CRCICA.
His recent case experience includes:
- Quantification of losses of the buyer of a restaurant business arising from the seller’s alleged fraudulent misrepresentation prior to the acquisition.
- Quantification of losses of the buyer of a life insurance business arising from alleged breach of warranties in the sale and purchase agreement.
- Assessment of the fair value of a formerly-U.S. listed Chinese film business following a take-private transaction, in a minority shareholder dispute.
- Assessing lost profits of a partner in a joint venture to explore, develop and exploit natural gas fields in the East China Sea.
- Assessing lost profits of a partner in a joint venture to supply elevator and escalator parts in China.
- Assessing lost profits incurred by a global fashion brand following an allegedly excessive discounting campaign carried out by one of its distributors.
- Advice on the losses incurred by a global pharmaceutical business arising from the infringement of certain patents by generic drug manufacturers.
- Advice on the losses incurred by the buyer of a consumer products business arising from alleged accounting irregularities, including channel-stuffing, prior to the acquisition.
- Quantification of losses suffered by a foreign investor arising from the alleged expropriation of assets by a Central Asian government.