Financial & Enterprise Data Analytics
The complexity of financial systems and globalisation of business processes challenge organisations to preserve and analyse transactional data, and to prevent and detect fraud.
The firm’s Financial and Enterprise Data Analytics (FEDA) team delivers strategic business solutions to clients requiring in-depth analysis of large, disparate sets of financial, operational and transactional data. Our professionals - respected experts in technology, finance, forensic accounting and the law - map relationships among various systems and geographies, uncovering patterns that may signal fraudulent activity.
A global practice of structured data and technology experts that works with its clients to analyse large, disparate sets of financial, operational and transactional data in helping them to confront their critical business issues. Our investigative services include:
- Identifying, acquiring, and normalising relevant data
- Identifying the relationships between multiple sources and data points
- Designing and implementing appropriate tests and triggers to isolate relevant transactions
- Providing a platform for the review and investigation of such transactions among interested parties, including experts, corporate and outside counsel, and co-defendants
The identification and investigation of the fraud is only the beginning of the mitigation process. FTI Consulting also has the capability to identify potential assets that may be linked to fraud. FTI Consulting has worked with trustees and other parties to recover hundreds of millions of dollars in fraudulently held assets.
Our Service Offerings
Litigation and Investigations
The firm’s Financial and Enterprise Data Analytics (FEDA) team provide the forensic analysis and visualisation of structured data to assist ongoing investigations with valuable intelligence. In cases of financial crime, such as fraud, we can help determine how such activity occurred and work to implement the appropriate safeguards to minimise the risk of recurrence. We can also assist with the recovery of assets lost to fraud and identify those that may be linked to it.
Our industry-leading experts spearhead investigations into the facts and circumstances surrounding a potential incidence of fraudulent activity. We also analyse financial data to assist companies with risk avoidance and mitigation measures in their operations or business transactions.
As structured data systems are mission critical systems in today’s modern business environment, there is a considerable wealth of information that can be collected, preserved, analysed and visualised for actionable forensic intelligence. FTI Consulting offers a range of advanced structured data analytics solutions and has been engaged to monitor compliance, investigate fraud and mitigate the damage from fraudulent activities in these and other areas of specialisation:
- Fraud analytics
- FCPA and UK bribery review and monitoring
- OFAC sanctions
- Anti-money laundering
- Transactional and operational due diligence
- Regulatory response coordination
- Employee and vendor fraud
The firm’s Financial and Enterprise Data Analytics (FEDA) team relies upon a number of analytical software packages to join disparate data sets into a single repository, perform various analyses upon them, and identify trends, patterns and outliers to detect fraud.
The firm’s FEDA professionals have extensive experience in the managing and mining of large complex information systems. The nature of business processes and transactional systems within the modern enterprise afford new opportunities for fraudulent activity by both employees and third parties. Understanding these systems, and the relationships and interactions between them, is imperative. FEDA’s fraud analytics relies on customised methodologies to suit a particular investigative need and are based upon a large analytics library of possible fraud indicators. FTI Consulting uses a number of skills and processes to aid in fraud detection across the enterprise, including:
- Database intrusion and compromise analytics focused on log file parsing and the analysis of the actions of users within the systems.
- PEP analysis (politically exposed persons): matching high-risk individuals against suppliers, customers, agents and employees, OFAC and sanction lists (SDN).
- High-risk payment analysis
- SWIFT message parsing for ease of review by counsel and clients to track the flow of funds between financial institutions.
- Identification of evidence of the manipulation of system processes or programs to facilitate fraudulent activity.
- Identification of “red flags” to support the investigation of fraud.
The FEDA team uses the following technologies, among others:
- Microsoft SQL server
- FEDA-developed proprietary tools
We produce simple but detailed visualisations from complex data sources, making it easier to identify abnormalities. Visualisation of complex information offers clients a clearer sense of the problem versus the confusion caused by tables of numbers. The FEDA team uses several software programmes to perform visualisations, including Tableau.
System Audits/IT Due Diligence
The Financial and Enterprise Data Analytics (FEDA) team performs system audits and IT due-diligence, often as part of the M&A process. Independent, third-party due-diligence on complex, low-latency, high-frequency, transactional IT environments has become crucial in today’s data-intensive industries.
Senior Managing Director